Learning to Follow

This weekend I went home with one of my closest friends. Her family is a hoot and I always enjoy time with them. Between our typical dinner table conversations with her grandmother discussing all things from entitlement to geography to recipes and our not-so-typical Easter Fiesta, I had a blast with her mom's side of the family. 

Then yesterday, we went to her dad's as well. Little did I know that her dad and step-mom have seriously been taking dance lessons. It was not long before her step mom pulled out CDs and was teaching me how to listen (and feel) for a beat. After we established that she broke down the waltz (already a basic dance) until I had it down. She stood in as the guy and led so that I could learn my part. I LOVE classical music and dancing but unfortunately I have no sense of rhythm. Waltzing around the kitchen in our socks may have been quite the spectacle but even through the awkwardness it was so much fun. Once that was down, I was introduced to 2-step, 3-step and then the famous Cotton-Eye-Joe. Disclaimer: we stuck to the basics and I could still use some practice!

Practice, practice. 

Well actually, in the words of her dad, "Jess, you can practice all you want but you are only as good as your partner. It is his job to lead and yours to follow".

Obviously anyone who knows even less than I do about dancing knows that. But that statement has deeper implications. Society encourages us to LEAD and that leaders are the foundation for our future. We are bombarded with classes and lectures on leadership But what happens when we put two leaders together to dance? Instead of floating across the floor we have stiff, jerky movements and find ourselves stepping on each other's toes (literally). 

Too often I find that in my faith I want to lead. I will study and pray...and talk about God's providence. Yet, when it comes to letting God pick the music and the beat I find myself still wanting to plan the dance. Instead of letting Him guide my steps, I try to choose where He will step next. Last night I realized, though, that following is a beautiful thing. You need to know the basic steps and you can continuously practice to get better as there is always more to learn, but to have a good partner is what makes the dance the best. The partner leads and when they are really good, they can guide you across the floor adding moves you never expected or knew before such as turns and dips. You just have to learn to follow and as we practice, we become better followers. 

Dancing is often a controversial topic among believers. I can understand that. However, there is lots to be gained from two people with their respective steps coming together as a leader and follower. It's an incredible image of Christ and the Church. It really is His job to lead and ours to follow.

Comments

  1. Excellent. Abilene Christian University did/does a wonderful job of teaching this through "learning to lead" camp. Cannot be a leader without being a follower and servant.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts