Southern Chivalry

Merry Christmas- and yes, I will say MERRY CHRISTMAS! I don't wish to be a Scrooge but mearly share some of the cheer I have this time of year, a season reminding us of hope and merriment. Thus, such an exclamation is meant with dearest sincerity!

Up North it is currently high 30s and drizzly/cloudy weather. Evidently Santa's North Pole has been affected by impending "Global Warming" and the effect is trickling down the longitude line. OH well, can't say I'm shocked: it's about time those meteorologist and greenies got a forcast prediction to actually occur. I'm not one who typically enjoys the snow- but I do enjoy tradition...and last I checked, the reindeer have left footprints on my lawn every year since ever! But lo and behold, there is no Jolly, Dog-Interrupted-Yellow Snow as of this fine winter solstice 2011.

What is a girl to do without the proper winter conditions to foster a Christmas like every other? Nothing. Reality check: Silly, Jess, Christmas is not about snow. So the three weeks off from school are being enjoyed in the company of long-missed family (even the little sisters, yes, I know) and friends. The daily challenge at the Bakery keeps me on my toes (literally) all day and I can only wonder how my sweet mother does it. There is something different in the air, and I love it. A long semester wouldn't be complete without a period of rest. This "holiday" as some pc folks might call it, really is a blessing. To end each day with time to think, consider the world, our role in it, read some brainless literature, read some challenging literature (none of which has to do with school!), and watch movies with life-long friends is just one of the reasons why I'm grateful this Christmas season.

The time is fleeting and in a few short years, Lord willing, I might and as will many of you readers be ending a long day from my job in the "real world" with responsibilities I cannot fathom always with me. To take time now, to learn that life is more than grades, more than a paycheck, more than the valuables or junk under the tree, and that there are blessings too numerous to count is what it means to truly be a kid. This is my last Christmas as a "teen". All connotations of my verbal age from this summer on out will not be youthful. But some lessons, such as the one from my 2nd grade teacher way back when, you just don't forget. I hope this is one of them.

Southern Chivalry? What does that have to do with anything? HA, well after landing in Chicago yesterday and carting my luggage through elivators, doors, etc and not having a single kind man offer to help REALLY REMINDED ME, "TOTO, we're not in Kansas anymore". This is my apology to the chivalrous men who act so respectfully over and over and never get a thank you. My upbringing taught every man/woman for themself. Some say it's a disgrace to "gender equality" when womem let men act kindly and respectfully towards them. I'm sorry, but honey, come to Texas! It isn't a mockery like you think. It's kindness and it's about time we returned the favor. THANK YOU GENTLEMEN!

For those of you who are real classy, the tipped hats or nods really do bring a smile.

Common girls, ego aside, you know you love this too!

Oh and by the way, in case you were wondering, my 2nd grade teacher's 3 THINGS YOU NEVER ASK A WOMAN are as followed:
1.) How old they are
2.) How much they weigh
3.) If they dyed their hair

Comments

  1. Did you have Ms Scott too? I can't remember... I agree that the chivalry needs to work its way up to Wisconsin even if just a little of it makes its way here...even if we weren't "taught" to gracefully accept the attention sent our way (you know what I mean). But I think there is always going to be something to improve on in some part of your life, whether we want to acknowledge it at the time or not. I have learned much about myself in the last week and am so grateful for that [including what was in that last sentence].

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have Ms. Scott :(
    But thank you for your comment Kater! There will always be areas needing improvement. I totally agree. I'll end my comment because I figure you're only a text away

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts