Desert Storm-Thursday Thoughts

We have just gotten back from our trip to the grocery store. In all, it took 2 1/2 hours. But let me start from the beginning.

After my post this morning ("Day 3-4ish) I joined the team and we walked to the landfill. I was told that we were walking because the PQC students had created a movement not to far ago to prevent the landfill from expanding. Apparently the city of Dallas wanted to consolidate all their landfills and only have one- one in South Dallas, two miles from the school. So we walked. With 14 people the walk took 30-40 minutes. We walked down city streets, in grassy side paths, and along railroad tracks. Definitely an adventure. Felt like runaways for the morning. However, for some reason they really wanted to show us how "bad" the landfill was. I declined and waited at the train tracks. Landfills are landfills. They are all over the country. I took fieldtrips to one near my community in middle school. We have trash, we don't want to keep our trash, so our taxes pay for it to go somewhere. That's where it goes. That was just my thought. However, I can understand why they would be upset over it- why is South Dallas the community to dump it in? That's a degrading decision, but we still don't know all the details. Perhaps it was the most cost efficient location or would provide more jobs for the community? The students thought that they money for landfill development and expansion should be used for a small community grocery store. That would be nice, but who is going to build a grocery store? Whose money is that? That's the job of a personal investor who is willing to take the risk. It is not the responsibility of the city. The student won but they still don't have a grocery store...and the trash is still there. Those are just my thoughts on that. If it would just rain here in Dallas we could do like my family- burn our trash! But life is different everywhere and frankly, as I'm learning as I grow up, life isn't fair. 

Then we walked back and were finally on the farm almost two hours later. Lots of walking! But that is how the locals do it so that is how we will do it. I can say that it sure feels good to be able to walk everywhere. Yes, my legs and feet are tired, but I enjoy being outside and getting the exercise. I feel better. BUT I only had a granola bar this morning and was definitely hungry! At the farm we released and attempted to feed the two new peacocks that came today. Their job will be to eat and rid the farm of mice, rats and snakes. YUM. Both the male and female peacocks got out of the fences so team members had to chase them down and we waited for that whole process to end as well. Finally the change was given out to each of us. Everyone received $8.64 for the rest of the week. We could spend it however we wish but needed to be able to feed ourselves through tomorrow evening. Challenge accepted. People discussed plans to go to the chicken place down the road or take transportation to Subway to get sandwiches that they could preserve for later. David, Codi and I still thought that getting groceries would yield the most bang for our bucks. After we got our $2.50 for bus and train fares, we joined two PQC students and took the bus and train to Fiesta grocery store. The walk to the bus took probably 10 minutes. Then we had to wait for the 1:34 bus (a 20 minute wait). On the bus the three ACU students were the only white people riding. It was pretty fun. I didn't feel intimidated or anything. Just smile and make conversation! We met a lady on her way to another grocery store and chatted some. Then on our way back she was back on the same bus! Tonight she is cooking potatoes, steak and greens at her house tonight...yummm. Anyways, after the bus we arrived at the train station and took the train (which had stopped for another 20 minutes too) to the stop nearest Fiesta. Then we walked down and across a street and some parking lots (a Wendy's...mmm chocolate frosty) until we were finally there!! YAY! I am now a fan of Fiesta! We took our baskets and went for it. There were lots of deals and savings. We got quite lucky. Looking at my receipt I spent $4.45 and bought Ramen and bread (as a kid I LOVED making "ramen sandwiches"...my mother would kill me if she knew I still enjoy those on occasion haha). I also bought beans, yogurt, avocados, and bananas. Fruits and veggies are fairly reasonably priced so that was my initial intention to purchase lots of that- BUT the fact is they are so low calorie I don't think I could get enough to fill me up for the next 36 hours. Anyways, I plan to make avocado toast (thanks to Codi's genius idea) and have it with yogurt for breakfast. Tonight will be Ramen Sandwiches and beans. Tomorrows lunch will be another Ramen Sandwich with yogurt and a banana and then I have some leftover bananas and avocados to snack on as necessary. That went a long way. I still had $4.19 left. 

This lucky girl went with the crew to Wendy's. By this time it was almost 3:00 and none of us had eaten. With my change I was able to eat a crispy chicken sandwich and enjoy a chocolate frosty. Still have $2ish left (well I shared some change with David because he spent almost all of his $8 at the store...boys...they sure do need more food than girls). I'm perfectly content. Were this my regular lifestyle several things would be different. I would make the grocery store trip after my pay day and be purchasing grocery supplies for an extended period- which essentially means I would save more in the long run, just replenishing essentials. People around here have lived tough lives in the food dessert- but a lot of that is the result of choices. I can eat this. My mom made "creative" meals from the previous night's leftovers. You learn to eat and be grateful for whatever. As I shopped I noticed plenty of people buying individual ingredients because they would likely be preparing their meals from scratch (so they are in the long run saving lots of money). But more so, I saw people buy chips, prepackaged and pre-prepared foods. These cost more. On the train-ride and bus ride back I saw lots of really fancy cars parked in the driveways and lots of apartment complexes that looked run down. I can't conclude that all people make poor decisions. That wouldn't be right. Living with the PQC students I am aware that that is not the case. But I can't help but wonder why so many people are trying to live outside of their means. If you are dependent on food stamps but drive a high class car and use a cell phone (many with data capabilities)...why are you struggling. You can afford those other amenities. 

I have lots of respect for the parents, especially single moms or grandmothers that have raised children. I am surrounded by wonderful people who have grown up to succeed in school, in their workplaces and are transforming lives around them as a result of dedicated, struggling single parents/grandparents. The woman on the bus who was simple, down to earth and getting groceries to make a homemade meal for her household inspired me. These are the people the remind me that the poor are not all just lazy freeloaders. I still think my thoughts in the above paragraph are valid though. I am grateful for my parents, and for the parents who struggle to get by but still strive to instill strong values in their children. We were discussing at our nightly meeting yesterday that they only way we can change these communities is through education and investment- starting with the children. It is children who grow up to lead and transform their communities. I see this in great detail playing out this week as I examine my upbringing and views and seek to understand other's.


Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. 
Proverbs 22:6

On our way back we were waiting at the train station and I saw a piece of newspaper rolled up with something inside. One of the group members picked it up and we found four candy bars inside. Needless to say, I have a KitKat in my grocery sack besides me. I feel a little guilty having taken one, we each did. They obviously belonged to someone...but why would they leave it there like that? Hopefully they aren't drugged!

We got back and it sure feels good to be sitting on my bed. I NEED to get working on homework that has been put off all week. It only we were getting course credit or something for this! By this time tomorrow we will be finishing up and then the President is taking us out to eat. Afterwards, the ACU students will drive home. I have enjoyed my time here, especially all the PQC students who so generously provide us with fun conversations. I have definitely learned a lot living in a side of life that I usually only see from the car or read about in the news. Something though that I have thought about is that even though things are hard here and many claim the "system" has failed them...I realize that our choices and our attitudes can really change our perspective. When we continue to dwell on our circumstances, we only engrave that identity in us more. There have been times when I have miserably considered my deafness and let that consume me to where I cannot think of myself apart from that. But when I realize that no, I am a strong, independent girl who can successfully do many different things, my perspective changes. Life is endurable even when I am left out of conversations or whatever the situation might be. The same can go for a minority population. When all I hear is "yeah, we are used to this. We live life the hard way. Y'all have it easy. Nothing will change here"...then that becomes the reality. We can't think that way. Nothing will change that way. Yes, I'm deaf. Yes, I'm white. Yes, you're black. Guess what? Who cares? We are all strong human beings and we can effectively transform our communities and live with joy in doing so. We don't need to cling to all of the labels. I think we do that as a safety net identity catcher. BUT THAT IS NOT WHO WE ARE. We are more than that. We were made for more than that. 


There is neither Jew nor Gentile, either slave nor free, nor is there male or female for all are ONE in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 3:28

Here is a link that I read today and think is worth sharing. http://blog.acton.org/archives/50436-fulfillment-and-flourishing-in-a-world-without-work.html

Comments

Popular Posts