Let's be Real Story #2

My mom is a pretty incredible woman. The last four years she and the rest of my family have gone through some challenges. There were times I feared she would give up, lose faith. But you know... if there is someone who has taught me to hold on, she is the greatest personal example that I have. I'm hoping she sends me some more "stories" but this is a testimony to just a snippet of how God has blessed her and the setting in which she is in for this season.


Every Thursday I leave Monroe at 3 am and make the trek to the Hines VA Hospital in Chicago. It's a long and nasty drive because I don't like the CHI traffic. But the experience makes my week. I've tried to explain it but how does one put into words the feelings invoked by standing and selling for 6 hrs straight. It isn't the unbelievable sales. It isn't the fact that there are only 5 vendors. It's the people. The staff at the VA are so caring and so positive -- from doctors and nurses to therapists, nutritionists, and sanitation and maintenance workers. But more than anything it is being able to put a smile on the faces of veterans who have lost so much defending this nation, veterans who are struggling with addiction, loneliness, or even those who are indigent. Yes there are a lot of indigent veterans who find safety at the VA hospital. Most of the veterans with whom I have contact are wheel chair bound, learning to live again. And all they want is to be accepted and loved. And you know what? They like my food! That puts a smile on their face and on mine. And when I leave there every Thursday and make the trek home again I am so glad that God has blessed me with the heart to be thankful for what I have.

Comments

Popular Posts