Being Real in the Kitchen

When I first came to school it amazed me how everything revolved around food. Maybe frustrate is a better word. Why was all fellowship centered around a meal? I still haven't answered that question; but I've come to believe that conversation begins naturally in these settings. It really is quite awesome when we consider it. 

Today my gma and I took to the kitchen. This wasn't our plan, but as I'm heading to sleep tonight I'm dwelling on how thankful I am to have a grandma that shares the same adventurous cooking and baking thrill that I do. 

She has had a rough couple of months and has been enduring more than I would wish upon anyone. Her attitude towards it all shines so gracefully. We've been blessed to be able to open up and talk about the things in our lives. Her 69 years and my 20 don't seem so far apart when I consider the uncertainty and fear that has crept into each of our lives. And yet, we can take to the kitchen and experiment to make Pork Pies, Apple Cake, and Chocolate Pecan Pies. Between the dinging timers and beating eggs, we discussed traditions, beliefs, fears and how God works in people's hearts. 

Things didn't go as planned today. She didn't get her paperwork done, I didn't get to do the things I had assumed I would and my sister didn't come in as early as we expected. Our day included a last minute hour and a half drive. However, I think I might be the luckiest girl in the world to actually sit down around a table and eat homemade pork pies with two people that love me more than I know: my grandmother and sister. Hearing the latest news from Cat and serving up apple cake with ice cream and pomegranates (yes, we did eat that combination) put things in perspective. 

We don't know what the future holds. I barely understand what is going on today and seem at a loss as to how to perceive events or know what the next steps are. BUT I DO KNOW THIS: God knows and even though it seems so unlikely, He will reveal what He desires for us to know in His timing. His will and His timing flow out of the abundance of His love that we have not yet begun to understand and it exceeds all that we could ask or imagine. This is cause enough to be thankful.

I will stop on the sap for now. But these are my Thanksgiving Eve thoughts. I bought the book, Love Does by Bob Goff and this what I will leave you with, "“...love is never stationary.” God's love is always moving. Look for it and be thankful.

Comments

Popular Posts