Broadening the Path

You broaden the path beneath me, so that my ankles do not turn. -Psalm 18:36


In the past, I've approached the Psalms looking for the words to match my joy or frustration, or to provide comfort and encouragement. More often than not, these words put me in my place, reminding me of the greatness of our God. When writing cards, as many of you may have noticed, the Psalms are a great place to find the words for the emotion you wish to express. One thing I haven't done is approach this book for advice or wisdom.

The future is ultimately beyond our control- you know that, I know that. But I'm sure you still have your own plans laid out, if not specifically, then you probably have a general idea of the course you would like to be on 10, 20, 50 years from now, right?? Of course! We like security, we like knowing Jeremiah 29:11,For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Knowing that, we know that there is a future to consider and so we set out to make plans and seek God's will for our lives. There isn't anything wrong with this idea, but if you're like me you have periods where God is revealing much to you. There is so much to consider as discernment and searching makes paths straight or closes doors. Sometimes we forget to consider that just because the path is straight that doesn't mean there are not potholes on the side to distract us and cause our ankles to turn.

David's proclamation of our sustaining God reminds us in times where the path seems too narrow to cry to the one who can broaden our paths so we do not fall. As I've wrestled with some questions this past year this verse charges me to reconsider how I've approached those issues. Our God is our Rock and He desires for us to follow in the path that He has outlined. His path is narrow and it isn't easy but He loves us enough that should we ask, He would broaden the path. This doesn't mean for easier terrain, but clearer, leveler ground.

As for God, his way is perfect:
The LORD’s word is flawless;
he shields all who take refuge in him.
For who is God besides the LORD?
And who is the Rock except our God?
-Psalms 18:30-31

Comments

Popular Posts