February Book Recommendations

I think it is just going to become custom to recommend two books, of different genres for the monthly suggestions. I simply cannot decide again.

This first book, has been read on and off since August when my best-friend since kindergarten dance class, Megan, gave it to me to read on my way to Portugal. I loaned it to someone recently and have found several times I have wanted to reference it- very profound insight is provided through the life of missionary Jim Elliot. I have since completed reading through another source because of how good it is.

In the Shadow of the Almighty written by his widow, Elisabeth Elliot, is by far the most compelling biography I have ever read. While no one has lived a perfect life, except Christ alone, the humility with which Ms. Elliot pieces together Jim's extensive journals and the countless letters they sent back and forth, we can get a glimps into what might a modern life look life if truly searching after God.

For those who don't know who Jim Elliot is I say, "read the book"! And for those who do know his story, I say again, "read the book"! This biography is told in a personal narrative as diary entries are what fill the pages. We see how Jim evaluates himself before the Lord with such scrutiny in areas where we can't help but drop our jaws- what we considered a righteous act, he examines with Scripture, hoping to stir the Spirit to correct him.

"My going to Ecuador is God's counsel, as is my leaving, Betty, and my refusal to be counselled by all who insist I should stay and stir up believers in the U.S. And how do I know it is His counsel? 'Yea, my heart instructeth me in the night seasons.'"

Through the letters of Jim and Elisabeth we are taught about faith, hope and love. Each scenario encountered is embraced as a means of strengthening the Armor of Christ. Elisabeth Elliot has several other books that I would like to read. As a wise woman of God, any girl or guy finds wisdom in this written work regarding relationships of worldly, friendship-y, family, romantic, and Spiritual nature. I can't help but go on and on about this book. But I do have one other thing- this does not replace what can be provided through reading of God's Word directly. I sometimes worry that I find so much insight through the works by several great writers: C.S. Lewis or Elliot or example, that I lose sight of the ultimate Word.

The second book, Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell is suggested for EVERYONE! But convincing others to read an 800 page sucker isn't too easy. Thanks to my economics pal, Karsten, I absorbed these pages over the last few months. It took quite some time to finish, and lots of discussion with others to understand, but there is an immense amount of knowledge to be gained.

Economics is usually regarded as the "boring money topic" that only Wall Street cares about. But as it is repeated over and over in the text, Economics is the study of how we allocate scare resources that have alternative uses. What does that mean? It means that Economics is the study of your everyday decisions. It is inclusive of more than money, but of time, energy, and in the case of politics, popularity. For anyone wanting to enter the poll booth as an educated voter (provided you have ID :) ) then you had better get started reading Basic Economics.

“Virtually no idea is too ridiculous to be accepted, even by very intelligent and highly educated people, if it provides a way for them to feel special and important. Some confuse that feeling with idealism.” Taken from his book, this statement idealizes the importance there is for our society to really examine what choices we make and what choices we let others make for ourselves.

If you're bored, which I'm sure isn't the case, but if you are looking for some serious material to get you thinking, then get your hands on some informative literature. I'd love to hear what you learn!

Comments

Popular Posts