As 6 Lost Files

I've been wanting to write another post regarding what I've been learning about helping others via Christ-centered principles, drawing on my experiences from the Clinic. However, that is going to have to wait as I'm still figuring it out myself. The Clinic set-up has provided an environment to think about various things differently.

Because many of y'all don't hear from me often, I wanted to post something anyways.

Today at the Clinic I realized something that was worth sharing.

We (mainly speaking of the amazing retiree volunteer staff) maintain an extensive file collection, consisting of over 68,000 patient files. Typical hospitals probably serve more; but when each one is a physical, paper file color coded, numbered and charted on "the wall" and pulled by actual human hands for each use, that's pretty incredible. It took me a few days to get the filing system down to where I can fairly compete with my elder, superiors in finding a chart. Oh we are always racing, but that keeps it fun!

One of the tasks is to prepare the files for the doctors and PAs following day. There are about 20 files per physician to be pulled/found, checked for all documents and sorted for early access the next morning. Pulling the files is the easy part, sorting my appointment time isn't too bad either. It's going through the paperwork to ensure there is proof of income, filled prescriptions and allergies that can be daunting. Everything has to be done just right to avoid complications.

Sometimes a file isn't to be found on the wall. When this happens, we search the physicians and nurses in-boxes. Most likely the files are being worked with and can be found there. But sometimes, as was the case today, the files are MIA. We dub this MIF, missing in files. Panic sets in. There are NO electronic databases. You cannot find a file, you cannot know patient history, test results, and all that fun stuff! This morning SIX files could not be located. Wanting to get some shadowing time in I was frustrated that I got stuck with the "trouble pile". The hunt was on.

Where could they have gone? I checked in other sections of the same color to see if maybe it was misfiled, the various in-boxes, anywhere a file could be located was checked. Who gets a list with SIX lost files?! This would happen today when I wanted to be in the PA office helping patients. But first was my task to find the files, and that it would be. Four turned up. Two to go. Whew. Getting there.

Where were the last two? As I walked around the clinic checking everywhere, needing those files it dawned on me: this is quite the pursuit. Wow, I want to be pursued like this! All for a few files! Goodness. But then realizing the desire to find these files so that I could be comforted knowing they were where they needed to be I saw in a real-world, scaled down representation of the earnestness with which God seeks our hearts. Maybe it isn't the best example, but if I would go to the extremes to check the bathroom for a paper file, what is God enduring, what has He endured for my heart?

Time after time, Scripture reveals God's desire to reunite with us. There are countless verses about us seeking Him, but I want to focus on His desire to be with us.

In Exodus He brings His people out from Egypt.

Through the Judges He tries to restore the Israelites to Him on several occasions.

In Zephaniah we see God mourn and punish those who turn away. But He welcomes back those who turn back. The evident rejoicing means He wants His people to turn back!

These are just a few examples, but there are tons!

Through an ultimate sacrifice, my sinful soul is set free, free to live with His. I'm not making major sacrifices like that for anything- I don't suppose you have either. Now that's love. That's a desire for reunion. My paper files don't stir me enough for that.

Paul implores us "on Christ's behalf: be reconciled to God". (2 Corinthians 5:20)

5 of the 6 files were located. One remains MIF. Leaving a note, the sweet afternoon "file hound", Viola, has a new mission. Who do we know still MIF?

Comments

  1. Great insight!! Thanks for sharing. It's pretty cool how God uses things like that in our daily lives to teach us. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts