T'is Possible to Have your Cake and Eat it too

Except in the case where you lose your student ID and have all excess to the cafeteria, on campus gym, and your own dorm, you can have your cake and eat it too. Yesterday I lost my ID.

But this isn't about food. This is about patience. Because I know some girls follow this blog, this next entry is for you. I'm not particularly a blog reader, it's hard enough to write my own posts, but at work I can get pretty bored and given my 3-day weekend has already begun I'm not real motivated to do homework. So today I found a wonderful blog called Love in Waiting. The link is provided:
http://loveinwaiting.wordpress.com/

It was quite random, but full of wisdom from a girl, excuse me, woman who has been there done that. I'm guessing, if you're like me, you're probably wondering when Mr. Prince Charming is going to come along. Right?! Yes, admit it! Thank you :)

Last night in Bible class we were discussing the fruits of the Spirit.
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23

We were broken off into small groups of about 4 and left to discuss where we saw these areas working in our lives, or lacking. Sometimes we use these as a checklist- "oh I got me some joy! and lots of kindness" and the occasional "oh, that's definitely not self-control eating that whole cake, God give me self control!" And we lose sight of the fact that these will be a working progress when we let the Spirit move and mold us. Might i suggest what our minister suggested to us last night, pray that God would really make His Spirit stir you and change you. Be open to what might occur....because it usually doesn't just happen, it usually involves some sacrifice and discipline, but also a presence, the Spirits presence to guide and provide peace.

Peace is definitely an area that I can see working, given the overwhelming last few months I've had. I'm a worry wart, but at the end of the day, I can sleep and I am thankful for that. But I can remember myself examining these fruits a few years ago and asking for patience. What I felt I needed it for I cannot remember, but now I am beginning to see patience be an area that is being worked on in my life. I don't always see myself as a patient person, but the circumstances that have come up...or not come up have greatly pertained to patience.

Why must I stay single till I'm 50!! While my friends and I joke about that, 50's club girls, we do fall into deep conversations about this issue. Perhaps it's the influence of too many Nicholas Sparks books and movies, or the wonderful relationships we see around us, but either way- it is something that I have seen become a greater issue among so many young women my age. I'm not an expert by any means at all! But today I came to realize the blessing that we all share! An opportunity to be shaped and molded by way of patience while waiting for Mr. Prince. There is not a relationship at this point, because God is forming in you a person that He KNOWS is of great worth and He KNOWS that you have the focus, time, energy, etc at this point in your life to meet that stage. Finding your identity in God and not a man is something we all know and when we aren't consumed with self-single-pity really believe. But sisters, it's something we need to be thankful for!

Perhaps you are going to become wonder-woman in ten years. How can you expect to be the God fearing lady that can serve her family, serve her community, serve in her workplace and be known at the city gates (Proverbs 31) when you have not made any investment now? Examining of Proverbs 31 reveals that the Wife of Noble Character is worth far more than rubies. In this world we don't become financially wealthy without investment. Whether you invest 5% of your paycheck since age 16, 10% since age 30, or luckily win the lottery- you made an investment- it might have even been the $5 for the lottery ticket. It all takes initiative! Don't just think of the investment in regards to a man! It starts with us!

"She gets up while it is still night...She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks" verses 15-17

Right now you don't have the commitment of a relationship and helping that relationship grow. This is time to foster discipline, because you are made to be more than just a wife. The author of the blog above makes an amazing point: we need to be careful not to worship the idea of marriage, but the One who created it in the first place. We are ALL (men included) called to be God's faithful children first. Embrace this time to grow in love towards God (yes I know we hear this all the time girls) and also in discipline. Maybe that looks like getting up out of the warm dorm bed to go workout, or to study one more time, or to read from God's word and just listen to the silence. We need to serve now and serve with God. It doesn't start as a married woman, or a graduated student. In all things we work for the glory of God.

So yes, pray. If it is God's will there is someone being prepared that exceeds your expectations. Really. I've seen it. Be thankful always because as there is a time for all things, this is a season to become a strong, disciplined student, caring community volunteer, loving dorm neighbor, and a real friend to those around you. But most of all, to grow as God's daughter...or son if a random guy is reading this. :)

You have your cake- it's now, the beautiful single life. But you have to eat it now so you can get the bigger better slice later.

Enjoy.

Comments

Popular Posts