Home is


What makes a place home? If the first thing you thought of was the cliché "home is where the heart is", that is what comes to my mind too. That has always sounded so cheesy but after spending a few weeks at home I am realizing and somewhat questioning the implications of that statement. 

I have pretty much grown up in the same town, almost the same house, for the majority of my life. My bedroom has been the same room for 13 years and on breaks I love to sleep in my bed, waking up to the familiar way the sun shines through my window...getting a view of the birds, squirrels and sometimes deer and turkey just right outside. Christmas morning is predictable as well. Everyone wakes early to quickly scarf down breakfast and then sit around the tree together as the scent from my mom's tea lingers in the air. If there is snow, my siblings and I will sled while my mom prepares lunch and then the rest of the day is spent just enjoying one another. An evening at my grandparents, with my grandma’s supper and delicious dessert follows a few days later. We spend time eating, playing cards and then at my grandpa’s request, watching the Packer game. After his stroke he seems much slower. His mind and movements are not what they used to be. But with the fierce smile he’s always had, he said, “I will get back. If I don’t try, I will die and I will not die that way”. His words did not conjure fear or nervousness as we sat around the table. They spoke and invoked honesty and courage towards the things we don’t often like to think or talk about. This is home.

As kindergartners, my friends Megan and Katie and I all met in dance class. By second grade we were all at the same school and another friend, Jess (yes, the same first and middle name!) joined the ranks. Our friendship circle has changed over the years, but the four of us have always stayed in touch. Christmas break brings a time to catch up. As I returned home this year, the four of us found ourselves together quite often. Whether gathering late at one of our houses or getting together for coffee, we met to share the events of the newest seasons of our lives. We joked to one as to when she might be getting married (after all, we'd predicted it five years ago!), and three days later celebrated her engagement. While we have all headed back to school there were goodbyes left with "I'll see you at the wedding". This summer we will all return home to celebrate a new season as ‘she’ will become ‘they’. We will keep in touch, work on plans, but next time, wherever we find ourselves, we will be able to pick right back up. These girls are home.

I like to think I’m spontaneous and enjoy change. While that is healthy, and I consciously have to make an effort to work on that, I am aware of how much comfort I find in routine. My home congregation has about 100 people…regular attendance of maybe 60. I grew up there. I know everyone and they know me. There are a few ladies who write letters and send emails to update me on their lives as well as check in on me, offering prayers and the occasional gift packages of cookies. They are indeed very special. When I came home I looked forward to going back, worshipping there and visiting with them. However, there have been a lot of changes and my family isn’t attending there anymore. I am writing this post as a prelude to some of my thoughts that have jumbled together in regards to this situation. I do not agree with some of the things going on, but the Church family, that congregation, is home.

While home for four Sundays, I worshipped with three different congregations, one twice. My mom’s bakery opens up to a small house church plant that meets on Saturday evenings. I decided to check that out as well. All of this was what I intended to write about, but I needed to start somewhere else first. I hope that some of this provides a background and can get your mind thinking undirected before you read my thoughts. In each of these situations and groups of people, there is a piece of home.

I flew back to school two days ago. While home I enjoyed my time, but was ready to be back. This year, the distinction shifted. Home was home, but so was school. As I headed home, I eagerly looked forward to getting back to my grandma’s house. Chatting with my grandma over vegemite toast and a hot Milo had been missed. This is home. Stuck in the airport for over six hours gave me lots of time to reflect. That’s where this inspiration came from (so if you’re bored, sorry…I was too).

C.S. Lewis says something to the effect that there are no coincidences. This idea has continued to reveal its truth. Had I gone somewhere else for school, sure, I may have called that home at some point. But talking with friends at other places, who went all over the country due to swimming or other scholarships, they don’t seem to have the same sense of home that I feel. It is simply school with some close friends. I am immensely grateful for the friends and families here. To think we can make it through this world on our own is a terrible mistake. In honesty, without their insight, encouragement, wisdom, spontaneity and love for God I don’t know where I would be. They have given me a greater understanding to what community and the Church means. While gone, God helped me to realize how wonderfully He has worked and blessed us. In more ways than one and more ways than I could ever thank Him, these friends and families here have made this home.

If home is where the heart is, my heart is in many places. The Church helps to make this possible as we remain connected to the Body wherever we are. I hope this got you thinking about where you call home. At some point I will attempt to finish my thoughts on the Church to “complete this post” if you will. For now I will leave you with two verses that have stood out to me as I considered all of this. God has so beautifully and intricately designed His people to be together, whether physically or not, but always in the Spirit. Ultimately though, our HOME is with Him.

So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit.
Ephesians 2:19-22

My soul longs, yes, faints for the courts of the Lord; my heart and flesh sing for joy to the living God. Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, at your altars, O Lord of hosts, my King and my God. Blessed are those who dwell in your house, ever singing your praise! Selah
Psalms 84:2-4

Comments

  1. Hey Jess, I love this post because I completely understand. Abilene will always be home, but so will Chicago, and Honduras, and even Uruguay... Sometimes I feel as though I leave a little piece of my heart every time I spend over a month in one place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts