Let me be singing when the evening comes...

Here is the latest attempt to put down my thoughts for you all.

Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name

Two weeks ago a friend attempted to describe to me what feeling God's love was like. Summing her words, when everything is stripped away, there is a peace. And it's just there...thick.

Perhaps you have heard that before, I know I had. 

The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes

If you read last Friday's post you might understand some of what's going on, and related in a way. This week was definitely much calmer, not to say easier, but calmer. Uncertainty and loss still lingered in the air, but something remained...something think.

Her words came back to me over and over this week. As God revealed where He was asking me to change, what He wanted me to do next, I learned that He works in small steps, revealing only what we need for the moment. And when we think that is not enough, He put a stillness...a thick stillness in my heart. Surely enough, when we leave the choice with Him, we can endure all things. 

You're rich in love, and You're slow to anger
Your name is great, and Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find

Many of you are going through some challenging times. Your jobs are on the line, your health is on the line, your family is on the line...and through it all you assume your faith is on the line too. I am not going to flower up what I'm about to say, because it is all you really need to be reminded of. God hasn't moved or changed. However well intentioned, your perception is out of focus. He. Is. There. And He knows. Embrace this season. All the clothes out for a drying on the line come down at some point. You are going to make it.

I have been reading the Weight of Glory by C.S. Lewis. In one of the chapters (speeches) he talks about pacifism and war. Sparring you the details (because you should read it yourself anyways!) he makes this point that resonated with me: if it comes to death, what is that to us? We are freed at last and if we've lived walking in step with our Lord, death frees us. For on that day, if we've remained faithful, He will say "well done good and faithful servant" (please note this is my simplified summary of Lewis' words, which in no way does him justice)

That may have been too extreme an example for my purposes, but I just loved that section of the book and how differently Lewis perceived trials and decision making, even if it was pertaining to war time.

And on that day when my strength is failing
The end draws near and my time has come
Still my soul will sing Your praise unending
Ten thousand years and then forevermore

God is everywhere and always working. This week is another testimony to that.

It was a gorgeous day. The afternoon was spent in the kitchen with the window open, singing to Selah, and cooking with Kara. The kitchen smelled wonderful with our first attempt at my mom's White Chicken Chili prepping on the stove and then pumpkin scones for ...err...dessert...breakfast...well deliciousness for anytime....baking in the oven. It's always an adventure when we cook or bake, but some of the best conversations start in these moments, as do times where our true colors show. Sometimes "it just doesn't look right" and while that's a recurring phrase for us :), it always turns out. Maybe not delicious, but we learn for the next time. Fortunately, we did master the chili and scones!

I don't know what that last paragraph has to do with anything I wrote above. But I do know that the time spent at the end of the week with a good friend, even if just singing away tunelessly, making food and messes and washing dishes is a blessing. Maybe none of this makes sense, but perhaps it does. All I know is it's Friday night and I can say it is well. My hope is you can too.

Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name
Jesus, I'll worship Your holy name
I'll worship Your holy name




Comments

Popular Posts