After a Night of Baking

The words of the reckless pierce like swords, 
    but the tongue of the wise brings healing. 12:18

Anxiety weighs down the heart, 
    but a kind word cheers it up. 12:25



These seemingly random verses and others from Proverbs 12 have been on my mind in varying fashions over the last month. As I've gotten older and more "independent", the need for counsel and wisdom from adults has become increasingly apparent. 


I love my mom and dad and was upset to recently learn that only my mom would be coming down in a week to visit. Life happens and my dad has to work. But I'd been looking forward to having time with them both, talking in person. With them so far away, our communication is limited to emails and texts with an occasional skype call. I'm thankful for modern technology that allows this, but sure have been desiring time to talk with them face to face without time constraints. One of the beauties of the relationship I have with them however, is the blessing and encouragement to seek out and connect with other adults that can provide wisdom and guidance with a physical listening ear and the sometimes necessary hug. For that and so much more, I'm thankful to my parents.


As a twenty-year-old, my grandmother has taken me under her "wings", as have two other beautiful, seasoned women. There certainly are friends and younger adults that look out for me, but these three ladies have invested in my life in a way that truly could not be described anything short of a blessing.


Before I go any further, I should clarify that there are many other women who have played/play this role- but the three refer to ladies in the same town :)


One of the most beautiful aspects of this is that they simply do not "mother me" but share life with me. They are quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger, with wise instruction on their tongues; but they are also guiding and letting me be a part of their lives. It's one thing for someone to invest in you, but another when they open up their lives and invite you to walk in, becoming a part of their joys as well as struggles. It is as if my youth can benefit and uplift them and their wisdom can benefit and uplift me -- and I can't help but reflect on that and know that God's hand is surely working.


One of my favorite things Elizabeth Elliot wrote talks about God as timeless and how He makes us run when we want to walk, and sit when we desperately desire to run. The anxiety that creeps into our lives surrounding all that we don't know and just want certainty on really can weigh a heart down.


 I guess it took me a long ways to get to my main point...but I'm writing this in response to some things a friend said tonight. It's always interesting how as time winds down after a gathering, then the "real" stuff comes out. Without going into detail, it was regarding the future..such as her career, starting a family and all the other big things that come with "aging". Having been in her shoes, and still facing those thoughts daily, I wish I hadn't let her leave without sharing some of the wisdom that my three ladies each, without knowing about the others, have shared with me. 

  • Worry is NOT of God. We are called to be faithful and to trust. 
    • This is the one that's been on my mind the most. It is the evil one that uses this tactic to twist our dreams and hopes, muddy our clarity, and stirs us to give up. When we let him have the reigns on our thoughts we begin to doubt the plans God has in store for us. We forget that He will do more than we ask or imagine. Why then do we worry?! So much easier said than done, right? But it's an area we need to learn to submit back to God, the One that is in control.
      • Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7
  • It is wise to consider the future, but it's also important to take life a day at a time.
    • We like control. But there are areas where God just wants submission. Perhaps this is one of them. It has been for me. All I can do, or you can do, it wait, listen, respond with what you think is the wisest decision and then wait. The waiting thing really gets to me. And I think that's the hardest part. God doesn't need us, He just wants us. When we hear a love story where one partner has waited and waited on the other we see this beautiful illustration of love. Is that not a wonderful gift we can give to God? He holds our possible careers, and potential families in his hands. For today, all you can do is what you can do today. Right now might just be time for getting the fields ready.
      •  Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." James 4:13-15
      • Finish your outdoor work and get your fields ready; after that, build your house. Proverbs 24:27
  • No matter what, keep God first and centered in all you do. 
    • This is the credit of my lovely grandmother. We had a heart to heart the other night. This is a no brainer, and should be the lens in which we examine the pursuits and desires of our lives. She gave me two criteria: 1. Is God the focus? 2. Will your decisions or actions be a Christ centered example within the Church and therefore, ultimately a light to the outside world? Those two thoughts have challenged me as I've had to examine myself and make decisions. Thankfully we don't have to do these things alone.
      • You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13
      • But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33

These three ideas are not new, but they are not easy either. I'm thankful for the women that have the initiative and the courage to tell me the words I might not want to hear. I just hope they are as convicting and encouraging for you as they have been for me. If I could add a fourth point, I think the biggest charge I'd have to share would be to keep your eyes open for that adult who has wisdom beyond her...or his years and a faith built on the rocks that have weathered storms and made it; one who holds unswerving to the faith they profess and lives a life of love. It is through their love that is patient and kind, does not envy, does not boast, and is not proud; does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered, keeps no record of wrongs; does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth; always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres, we can learn.

Comments

Popular Posts