Unredeemed

My heart broke tonight.

After work, I detoured to navigate some new parts of town. As the speed limit shifted from 50 to 30 for a neighborhood that I have never driven through before, my eyes caught three girls.

They stood there, wanting to look strong , and independent, hiding behind the little clothing they had on and make-up concealed faces. The three of them stood, talking, clearly ready to head somewhere and my just heart sank. They couldn't be any older than 14. They were just girls. A "where were the parents"--thought flashed through my mind. I wanted to pull over, get out and just talk with them.

But what would I say? Would that scare them? I'd find that a little creepy! The split second decision was made, I drove on.

 Why didn't I stop? I wasn't in any real hurry. The opportunity was right there. There was no traffic to worry about having to pull over with. I didn't trust enough to believe that God would provide the words. The next topic on that list I wanted to blog about is love.

God has shown me immense love and innumerable graces. He's also revealed how love, the kind He desires, really extends to others. We hear "Love God, love others" a lot. Personally, the phrase bothers me, because it sounds so simple and yet it isn't. It's easy to love my family, my friends and to say that I love God.

But what if the evidence of my love for God is revealed in my love for others that are a little dirty?

 This means sharing life with them. God is stirring something in us for growth --growth to become a part of the design He has all along desired. I missed an opportunity. And I knew it the moment I kept driving.

 If I had a life theme song, it would be written by Selah. One of my favorites is absolutely beautiful. Most of the time I listen to that song just because I love the sound- it's so clear. Unredeemed came on the radio as I drove away. The words struck somewhere inside and while I intended to write on love --I think that this second verse sums up the way that God's love influences our lives. I found it encouraging, that while I drove away, He was still there watching over them. So I'm trusting that no matter where the forces of this world may have led them tonight, He wont leave them unredeemed. I failed tonight too --but thanks be to God for grace. Now, may grace stir us all to action. Because I think that is love.

 For every choice that led to shame
 And all the love that never came
For every vow that someone broke
And every lie that gave up hope
We live in the shadow of the fall
But the cross says these are all
Places where grace is soon to be so amazing
It may be unfulfilled
 It may be unrestored
 But when anything that's shattered is laid before the lord
 Just watch and see It will not be unredeemed

Comments

Popular Posts