Surprise!


It has been one week since I left Portugal and there is one week until classes start for me at Abilene Christian this fall semester. I apologize for not getting a letter out sooner; it has been a crazy week figuring out logistics with my parents about getting back to school, packing, etc. At this moment my room is a total disaster but I’m taking a break to send an update.

Words cannot describe how thankful I am to have been a part of the National Team at the World Championships. Before I present the exciting news let me let you know how the USA has performed in the past. At the World Championships and Deaflympics, the USA has competed with a small team and only one or two people have finished top 8 or medaled, of which I was fortunate to be one of in 2009. We were never a threat to other strong teams like Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, and Great Britain to name a few.

The U.S. team came home with four different awards last week. Two belong to Marcus Titus, FINA High Point Swimmer of the Meet (1st surprise for the USA) and Male Swimmer of the Meet (winning 6 individual medals and 3 relays). The next two awards were for the team: Most Improved Team from 2007 (the last World Championships), and World Championship Winners! We went from scoring 4 medals in 2007 to bringing home 22 this year!! We tied with Russia but had one more gold than the long standing champions. The United States didn’t just rock the boat, we rocked the water! No one expected it and as underdogs, we had 10 different members of our 19-member team bring home medals. This is more than all of our medals in the past combined.

I swam a total of 6 individual events and 2 relays. In the individuals, my swims were strong- but I had to fight for the finishes as making top 8 was much more difficult this year. Each race was very close. In fact, my friend Peggy Liang (a swimmer at U of Hawaii) finished first in the 50 fly and tied with a Russian. Then the next two girls to finish only .40 seconds later tied as well. Two golds and two bronzes were awarded. It was very exciting because that rarely happens for someone to tie to the hundredth- yet alone two ties in the same race for medal spots. I finished top 8 in 4 of my events, 5th twice, 7th twice. Our 4x100 Free relay finished 4th and then the last event of the last day our 4x100 Medley relay finished 3rd. While it took all week and a little period of frustration, I was fortunate to be a part of a relay that brought home a medal.

The success of the American team was by far the most exciting aspect of the trip. But it was great to see old friends, international friends, and the make new friends with the newbies. In my blog I talk about being the “team mom”. While only 19, the USA team was very young and my experience from the past sort of put me in that role. I loved it and it’s always fun to get a hello text or a Facebook message from one of the “kids”. Of the National Team, only four of us were returning swimmers from 2007-2009. That made us “veterans” but to see the Ukrainians, Russians and Belarusian’s (there are 24 other teams but these are the biggest, strongest ones) who are in their 30s and 40s just put things into perspective. I’m so thankful my performance is not a job- paid on commission by medals like theirs are- that would be too much pressure. But the American team has put out a press release and has been invited to visit the President of the United States this winter. Hopefully this brings awareness to what we have done and paves the way for future corporate sponsorship so that athletes are not barred on their ability to fund. This makes me ever more grateful to you for your support financially and through prayer.

Thank you again for all that you helped me do. Your support not only helped me but also helped the National team get to where they are today, making the future of the sport more promising.

Here is to World Champions and World Champion Supporters. Thank you.

Comments

Popular Posts