Restless

It's one of those nights where all you do is toss and turn. I have a habit of going to sleep early when I'm stressed or worried....maybe that's why I can't sleep anymore tonight. I dont want this page to become like my journal, so I hope what I share is beneficial for you, encouraging at least.

With that in mind, I'm posting an entry rather than staring at the ceiling till the sun comes up.

There have been four big things are on heart in the last year and a half, some even longer so than that. 

I'm certain you've felt this way before, where you know you are supposed to do something and you don't. In one or two of these heart burdens I'm finding myself frightened of the costs to be "faithful with the little" I should do. The other two burdens are slipping from beneat my control. 

I think the former's the more dangerous, but if you're like me, the latter is more discouraging and distracting. We like control; we like knowing everything is okay according to our plans. But I read in Exodus 13 how when God is delivering the Israelites from Egypt, He answers their cries for deliverance. However, He does not lead them on the quickest path our of Egypt. It is another few lines before the Israelites realize that God has indeed answered their prayers and that He knew best all along.had they gone the shorter route, they would have met war and been discouraged and given up.

17 When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said, “If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt.” 18 So God led the people around by the desert road toward the Red Sea.[a] The Israelites went up out of Egypt ready for battle.
19 Moses took the bones of Joseph with him because Joseph had made the Israelites swear an oath. He had said, “God will surely come to your aid, and then you must carry my bones up with you from this place.”[b]
20 After leaving Sukkoth they camped at Etham on the edge of the desert. 21 By day the Lord went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night. 22 Neither the pillar of cloud by day nor the pillar of fire by night left its place in front of the people.

Look now at verse 21. God went ahead of them and in a way that was most conducive to their needs at the time. A shady cloud for daylight and light as a fire for night. He never left His place in front of the people.

So when it seems we have no control and our hearts are heavy with loads we cannot bear alone, why do we doubt that God's not in front of us, in a way most conducive for what we need today?

And when we have been given opportunity to do something regarding what's on our hearts, are we faithfully listening to the Spirit and trusting we will have the words, actions or may e even silence that's necessary?

It may seem that all your strength is gone. You're tired of watching the burdens of your heart go by and nothing change. This is where we have to assess, assess whether God is calling us to trust Him and do something, make a change or if He's calling us to sit and wait a little while more. If that's the case, then we shouldn't be discouraged. Easier said than done though.

Here's what Moses says (Exodus 14:13-14) to the discouraged Israelites, those about ready to lose all hope.

13 Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. 14 TheLord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”


I'm going to try and go back to sleep. Here are the lyrics that go along with this post.

Restless by Audrey Assaad

You dwell in the songs that we are singing
Rising to the Heavens, rising to Your heart, Your heart
Our praises filling up the spaces
In between and frailty and everything You are
You are the keeper of my heart

And I'm restless, I'm restless
'Til I rest in You, 'til I rest in You
I'm restless, I'm restless
'Til I rest in You, 'til I rest in You
Oh God, I wanna rest in You

Oh, speak now for my soul is listening
Say that You have saved me, whisper in the dark
'Cause I know You're more than my salvation
Without You I am hopeless, tell me who You are
You are the keeper of my heart
You are the keeper of my heart

And I'm restless, I'm restless
'Til I rest in You, 'til I rest in You
I'm restless, I'm restless
'Til I rest in You, 'til I rest in You
I wanna rest in You

Still my heart hold me close
Let me hear a still small voice
Let it grow, let it rise
Into a shout, into a cry

Still my heart hold me close
Let me hear a still small voice
Let it grow, let it rise
Into a shout, into a cry

And I'm restless, I'm restless
'Til I rest in You, let me rest in You
I'm restless, so restless
'Til I rest in You, 'til I rest in You
Oh God, I will rest in You

Credits :
songwriters: assad, audrey; maher, matt
© emi cmg publishing;river oaks music company;thankyou music









Comments

Popular Posts